Policy 304.0: Meeting Room Use
The Redford Township District Library’s Meeting Rooms provide an opportunity to bring together the resources of the Library and the activities of the community for educational, cultural, civic, intellectual and charitable purposes. Meeting Room space is available on an equitable basis to organizations or sponsoring persons regardless of their beliefs or affiliations.
Granting an organization permission to use a Library Meeting Room does not constitute endorsement by the Redford Township District Library of the policies and beliefs of the organization. Fees for use of the rooms will be charged to all groups except program partners of the Library.
- All persons requesting the use of a Meeting Room must read and abide by these rules and policies regarding the use of the rooms.
- Meeting Rooms are to be used for informational, educational, cultural and civic purposes, including activities such as discussion groups, panels, forums, lectures, conferences, seminars, and meetings. Private social gatherings are not permitted.
- Charging for admission is not allowed. No solicitation, fundraising, raffles or commercial transactions are allowed. The sale of goods or services is generally prohibited but may be permitted at the discretion of the Director if it is reasonably related to the Library’s purpose (e.g. author sales of signed books).
- Political organizations may use the Meeting Room provided meetings do not include fundraising. They may include business meetings, issue discussions, and candidate forums.
- Library-sponsored events take precedence over those sponsored by outside groups.
- The Library reserves the right to limit the frequency of use of its meeting rooms, to cancel reservations and to review any or all applications before granting approval.
- The library is unable to accommodate same-day reservations. Please contact the library if you have not received confirmation of receipt within 72 hours.
- The Library may occasionally close due to unforeseen circumstances or weather conditions. The Meeting Rooms will not be available when the Library is closed, regardless of prior arrangements. Every effort will be made to notify the contact person of the closure.
- Meetings must comply with the provisions of the Open Meetings Act, if applicable. Any group using the facility must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, and codes. Violations of any regulation may result in the immediate removal of groups from the Meeting Rooms and Library. Users are also subject to prosecution for any violations of any local ordinances or state or federal laws. Meeting Room fees will not be refunded to violators.
- All groups agree to release, discharge, indemnify and forever hold the Redford Township District Library, its staff, volunteers, and Trustees harmless from any claim, demand, actions or causes of action due to loss, damage, or injury which may be sustained by any member of the group or any member of the public at large attending an activity sponsored by the group using library facilities.
- All groups assume responsibility for any fee associated with usage and assume the liability, costs and/or expense that may arise during or be caused in any way by their use of the Library Meeting Room. This liability includes but is not limited to equipment damage or loss, Meeting Room damages and/or cleaning expenses.
- The Library reserves the right to reject any application and withdraw previously granted permission for use of the facility for violation of these rules at the absolute discretion of the Director and/or Library Board. Permission to use the Meeting Rooms does not constitute a lease.
- On the day of the reservation, the person responsible for registration will be required to sign-in and provide a form of identification. Identification will be held until meeting room use concludes. A staff member will review the room with the responsible party and note any damage prior to returning identification. Additional charge for early/late entrance or damages will be assessed and mailed after the event.
- Hours meeting rooms are available are 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Reservation requests must include adequate time for both set-up and clean-up. Meeting Room use, including clean-up, must end before the Library’s closing time. There is a premium charge for each 15 minute period a meeting goes past its scheduled time.
- Meeting rooms must be vacated at least 30 minutes before closing.
- An online Application must be filled out for Meeting Room Use.
- Minors may use meeting rooms as long as they can meet all meeting room requirements. The contract must be signed by an adult, age 18 or older, who becomes the responsible party and must remain present for the duration of the rental.
- Reservations may be made up to 2 months in advance of the meeting date.
- All reservations must be approved by RTDL staff.
- Payment is to be made within two business days after being contacted by Library Administration of approval of the application.
- Cancellation must be made at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled event to receive a refund. Repeated cancellations may cause a revocation of meeting room privileges. If the library cancels due to weather or building problems, refunds will be issued.
- Any equipment needed must be requested at time of room reservation. The use of the A/V equipment may require training for the user, which must be scheduled in advance.
- Library staff is not responsible for connecting or troubleshooting personal computers, electronic, or communication equipment brought to the Library by patrons.
Meeting Room Rules
- The Meeting Room requestor shall instruct all attendees to park in the north parking lot or in the Church overflow parking opposite the library lot.
- The Meeting Rooms have facilities to serve refreshments. If light refreshments are served, the group must provide all food, supplies, utensils and equipment needed. The group is responsible for any cleaning costs or damage to the Library Meeting Room, and for all clean-up after the meeting.
- If an event is catered, at least 3 days prior to the event the caterer must provide 1) a copy of State of Michigan license and b) a Certificate of Liability Insurance showing coverage of not less than $1M and naming the Redford Township District Library as certificate holder.
- All food and drinks are to be consumed in the Meeting Room only.
- The Redford Township District Library is a smoke, alcohol, and drug-free facility. No open flames are permitted.
- Remove all outside items brought into the room, and leave the room in the same condition as it existed prior to the meeting.
- Empty all liquids in the sinks provided in each Meeting Room prior to disposing of containers in the trash.
- The wood, walls, and dividers in the Meeting Rooms may not be used to affix any sign, poster, paper, picture, etc. They are not constructed of tackable surfaces. Staples, tacks, tape, etc. will damage the wood, walls or divider and groups will be held responsible for all costs associated with their repair.
- Meeting Room users must observe the Library’s Patron Responsibilities and Conduct Policy and all other Library policies.
- The name, address or phone number of Redford Township District Library may not be used as the official address or headquarters of any organization except those formally affiliated with the Library.
- The use of the Meeting Room by a non-library group shall not be publicized in such a way as to imply Library sponsorship of the group’s activities.
- The person submitting the Meeting Room request is the contact person for the group and becomes responsible for answering questions from the public. The Library will not assume this responsibility.
- Room A or B (Capacity: 60): $30 / hour
- Room A/B (Capacity: 100): $50 / hour
- Handheld or Lavaliere microphone
- Dry marker white easel (Must supply your own markers)
- Folding easel with chart bar (Must supply your own paper)
- Blu-ray player (used with drop-down screen & projector)
- Laptop computer (used with drop-down screen & projector). You may also bring your own laptop computer for this purpose.
- Drop down screen & ceiling mounted projector
- Cable for patron-supplied laptop
- 6’ tables